Saturday, July 14, 2012

35 days and counting

Airport Sign
Photo credit to Faz the Persian
until I board a plane (by myself for the first time, let's hope I don't take the wrong flight and end up in Australia or something) to Italy for four months. The reality of it all hit me pretty hard this week and the anxiety has set in. This will be the first time I'll be away from my family for more than a weekend and although I don't have a problem with that, it's going to be incredibly different being on my own. My sister came up to me and said, "You have 35 days until you leave and it's freaking me out, please don't leave." 35 days. Something I've wanted to do since I was a child is going to happen in almost a month and my stomach is doing cartwheels and a million questions are running through my head. What if I can't figure out how to get to the right terminal? What if I forget to pack something I really need? What if I hate my roommates? What if I can't visit all the places on my list? What if I'm so horrible with time management that I forget to turn in a major assignment? WHAT IF I GET PICK-POCKETED OR MUGGED?? We're talking about me here you guys, one of these is bound to happen, I have to prepare  myself.

I still have a difficult time comprehending that this is actually happening. After years of wishing, planning, and dealing with tons of setbacks, the time has finally come and my mind can't make sense of it. I guess these feelings accompany dreams coming true? It probably won't hit me until I get on my connecting flight to Rome from Chicago. In a few weeks, it'll be crunch time and I'll have to start getting everything ready for my departure. Packing (I still can't fathom how I'll fit four months worth of things into one suitcase and have it weigh less than 50 lbs, that's not easy challenge for a girl), making folders of important documents, calling airlines, and meeting with my study abroad group for dinner. So much to do!

2 comments:

Nicole ♡ said...

Wow that's so scary, yet so exciting. It wouldn't matter if you ended up here in New Zealand or Australia, i'm sure we'd look after you haha. 50lb isn't a lot of room for 4 months worth of stuff. I hope you manage to get everything planned and have time to relax before you leave!

Darianne said...

I'd be so excited, but then scared to death. I'm sure everything will be fine! Everything will come together as planned. 50lbs for 4 months? At that point, I'd be like there is no way for me. Lol.

Post a Comment